Why Employees Need Direction (In six sentences)

Throughout my career I have never really had anyone telling me exactly what to do, so I have paved my own way and set goals that I thought were important. And at times I have valued my work more than others for one reason: I was never told what I should try to achieve and never forced an answer to the question.

As a brash young marketer I always felt like I knew the best way and it didn’t matter what anyone else thought. But now I know that I needed to fight for more clear direction from my managers… and with direction I would have been happier and more effective.


Simply put, good management provides direction that creates:
- Alignment between your activities and the company’s goals
- Agreed upon, clear check in points to measure success and determine if you are on the right path
- Clear value of your work to the organization if/when you want to be promoted or need other people’s time
- Room to breathe and be creative within a larger framework for success; and
- A sense of urgency to succeed
Are you providing enough direction to your team?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is market research recession proof?

2009 Market Research Predictions, Forrester Style

McCafe? Its Not Possible