How the Beastie Boys Changed My Life (My MCA Tribute in 6 sentences)


“If you can feel what I feel than it’s a musical masterpiece" – MCA (Adam Yauch) on “Pass the Mic” 

When Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys died a few weeks ago it hit me hard, harder than I would have expected.  So I have been thinking a lot about why, and what it really boils down to is that the Beastie Boys helped define my musical taste and my personality in way that was encapsulated by the album “Check Your Head,” one of my four or five favorite albums of all time.  Check Your Head was a distinct evolution from earlier pieces that were very sampling/party anthem based and stuck almost exclusive within the hip hop genre. 

With Check Your Head the Beastie Boys stretched themselves.  They did something almost unheard of at the time by playing their own instruments and winding through a bunch of genres to create an album that showed off their own diverse interests and helped create mine – hard hitting rock, jazz/funk, and more all weaved together with both humor and intensity.  In short, Check Your Head showcased everything you needed to know about the Beasties and 20 years later, most of what you need to know about me.
  • Loud and aggressive at times, but not angry
  • Self taught and eager to show it
  • Employ a mix of styles and skills
  • Not willing to be defined by one thing
  • Very happy to sit back in a groove and let it wash over
  • Enjoy change and able to adapt over time






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is market research recession proof?

2009 Market Research Predictions, Forrester Style

McCafe? Its Not Possible