Black Friday Marketing


I'll be honest, I don't get the Black Friday thing. My wife wishes we had been home to go shopping. My sister-in-law and father-in-law were out at 4 AM searching for deals. A worker in New Jersey gets trampled to death. Hmmmm.


I have long believed that the media and entertainment are unfairly blamed for negative actions taken by average people (see the letter written to Tipper Gore back in my early youth about music censorship.) I do, however, point the finger at least partially at marketers for the tragedy at Wal-Mart this past week.


Every ad is designed to create a first come first serve frenzy, yet people are shocked that a crowd would react as instructed and go charging in to a store as it opens to get the best deal. Perhaps next year retailers could develop a less chaotic way to promote and execute on this key revenue generating day.


Now excuse me, but I have cyber-monday deals to find!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is market research recession proof?

2009 Market Research Predictions, Forrester Style

McCafe? Its Not Possible